CARGO TANKS, BOTTOM LOADING OF FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS. VOLUME II. REVIEW AND ANALYSIS OF LIQUID LEVEL CONTROL SYSTEMS USED IN BOTTOM LOADING OF FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS INTO CARGO TANKS
Bottom loading systems of flammable liquids into cargo tanks are investigated with two overall objectives: (1) Review the mechanical aspects of bottom loading of cargo tanks with regard to devices or procedures for removing liquid products from loading lines under tanks and protection of loading lines from underride accidents; (2) Review liquid level sensing systems presently available, with special emphasis placed on: safety characteristics, compatibility and adaptability of systems used as they differ from tank vehicle to loading terminal, failsafe features built into the systems, and longevity of these systems with a view to possible retest criteria. The volume summarizes the work performed on the second objective. This includes a review of available design, an analysis of the safety features of each design, a review of existing standards and recommended procedures, and recommended performance criteria.
- See also Volume 1, PB-271 429.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Johnson, N B
- Tyndall, L H
- Anderson, R L
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Cargo handling equipment; Control devices; Control systems; Crashworthiness; Earthwork; Fail safe systems; Fittings; Flammable liquids; Hazardous materials; Hazards; Indicating instruments; Liquid cargo handling; Liquids; Loading and unloading; Marine safety; Measuring instruments; Petroleum products; Risk analysis; Safety; Safety engineering; Sensors; Tank trucks; Tankers; Tanks (Containers); Transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Bottom fittings; Cargo tanks; Flammable liquids transportation; Impact vulnerability; Liquid level control; Liquid level indicators; Loading procedures; Loading processes; Tanker safety; Unloading processes
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00167113
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-FH-11-9091-V2 Final Rpt., 3978-77-27
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-9091
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 9 1977 12:00AM