CARGO TANK BOTTOM LOADING OF FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS. VOLUME I. REVIEW AND ANALYSIS OF MECHANICAL SYSTEMS ON CARGO TANK TRUCKS USED IN BOTTOM LOADING WITH REGARD TO IMPACT PROTECTION
The overall purpose of the program was to develop performance criteria for (1) protecting bottom loading tank systems in underride accidents and (2) for safe and reliable operation of liquid level sensors (Sensor study reported in Volume II). The program commenced with an industry survey to obtain state-of-the-art technology in bottom loading system manufacturing and carrier operations and a survey of pertinent literature. An effort to obtain underride accident data was maintained throughout the program, and the statistical probability of tanker involvement in accidents was postulated. A systems analysis was conducted to define the impact vulnerability of the system after establishing component functions and interrelationships. Emphasis was placed on shear section performance, protection guards and loading line location, product evacuation, etc., during the analysis. The performance criteria stress the need for primary and secondary system protection which are realizable with several crashworthiness concepts presented in the report.
- See also Volume 2, PB-271 430.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Tyndall, L H
- Anderson, R L
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 117 p.
- TRT Terms: Cargo handling equipment; Crashworthiness; Earthwork; Fittings; Flammable liquids; Hazardous materials; Hazards; Loading and unloading; Petroleum products; Protection; Reviews; Risk analysis; Safety; Safety engineering; Safety equipment; Shock resistance; Systems analysis; Systems engineering; Tank trucks; Traffic crashes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Impact strength; Motor vehicle accidents; Unloading
- Old TRIS Terms: Bottom fittings; Impact vulnerability; Loading procedures; Loading processes; Protective devices; Unloading processes
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00167112
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: 3978-77-60 Final Rpt., DOT-FH-11-9091-Vol-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-9091
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 9 1977 12:00AM