GUIDELINES FOR IMPROVED RAPID TRANSIT TUNNELING SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT. VOLUME I. SAFETY
Two of the major objectives of the Urban Mass Transportation Administration Tunneling Program are to lower subway construction costs and reduce construction hazards and damage to the environment. This study consists of a two-volume report and aims to develop guidelines for improved rapid transit tunneling safety and environmental impact, that is, this effort is directed toward underground construction applicable to modern transit subway systems in urban areas. Examination of construction safety regulations, tunnel construction accident data, and features of underground construction leading to unsafe work show that a systems approach to safety is required. Ten guidelines were drafted to supplement current construction safety regulations (OSHA 29CFR1926). Recommendations for further study and evaluation were made to complete the systems safety approach.
- See also Volume 2, PB-271 048.
Mathews (AA) Incorporated11900 Parklawn Drive
Rockville, MD United States 20852
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Bledsoe, J D
- Chase, A P
- Publication Date: 1977-1
- Pagination: 117 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Construction projects; Costs; Crash investigation; Crashes; Environmental impacts; Excavation and tunneling; Industrial accidents; Occupational safety; Prevention; Rail transit facilities; Rapid transit; Safety; Safety engineering; Subways; Tunneling; Underground structures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Environment; Finance; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00167063
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-77-2-I Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-802-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 29 1981 12:00AM