WEAR STUDIES FOR STEEL WHEEL AND RAIL. I. MECHANISMS AND QUALITATIVE ANALYSIS
The report describes some of the recent work done at I.I.T. to understand the mechanisms of wear between wheel and rail, and is based on experiments conducted on the 1:4.5 I.I.T. wheel-rail simulation facility which is briefly discussed in the report. Tests were carried out to establish the effects of load and friction coefficient on wear rate. Techniques were developed to collect and analyze data on wear particles and wear tracks under the scanning electron microscope. Surface finish measurements were also carried out as a function of these parameters. The flake type wear particles obtained in all the tests were explained in terms of a delamination process originating from subsurface crack nucleation and coalescence. A number of SEM photographs are included to support the qualitative analysis presented.
- Sponsored in part by Association of American Railroads, Chicago, Ill. and General Motors Corp., La Grange, Ill. Electro-Motive Div.
Illinois Institute of TechnologyMechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department
10 West 33rd Street, Perlstein Hall
Chicago, IL United States 60616
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
Chicago, IL United States 60605
General Motors CorporationWarren, MI United States 48090
- Krishna, R
- Kalpakjian, S
- Kumar, S
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 71 p.
- TRT Terms: Adhesion; Axle load force; Coefficient of friction; Durability tests; Friction; Loads; Locomotives; Rail (Railroads); Railroad cars; Railroad tracks; Rolling contact; Shelling (Metals); Wear; Wheel loads; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: Wheel Rail Dynamics Research Facility
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Rail shelling
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00167061
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: IIT-TRANS-77-2 No. 7Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-40103
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 29 1977 12:00AM