ON-BOARD VEHICLE SENSOR TECHNOLOGY. VOLUME II. TECHNICAL REPORT
Forty three areas were identified in the brake, steering, suspension, tire, lighting and signalling systems where safety or inspection benefits might be obtained through the application of on-board vehicle sensors utilizing either on-board or off-board readout. These areas were screened against a variety of criteria, the most important being their potential for accident reduction as determined in the Indiana Tri-Level Studies in Accident Causation. Eleven areas were judged to warrant detailed evaluation of implementation considerations. These eleven candidate areas were then subjected to further analysis including identification of: currently available hardware, existing techniques for sensor application, conceptual devices where hardware does not now exist, and improvements possible in existing devices. In addition, a cost benefit analysis was performed for each candidate area, utilizing estimates of sensor life-cycle cost and benefit, including both safety and other impacts. These results are preliminary in nature, due to the weakness of the data bases in all important areas. Limited consideration was also given to alternative countermeasures in each area. Four candidate areas are judged to offer the potential of a favorable benefit/cost ratio. These are brake performance, tire tread depth, brake lights and brake friction material.
- See also Volume 1, PB-268 032.
Avco Systems Division201 Lowell Street
Wilmington, MA United States 01887
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Heldt, R
- Burke, H
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 308 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Brakes; Detectors; Highway safety; Inspection; Light; Lighting; Motor vehicles; Safety equipment; Sensors; Signals; Steering; Steering gears; Suspension cables; Suspension systems; Tire treads; Tires
- Old TRIS Terms: Checkout equipment
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00167041
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-802-485 Final Rpt., AVSD-0353-76-RR
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-5-01178
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 29 1978 12:00AM