A MULTI-ORIGIN/DESTINATION TAXI SYSTEM. VOLUME 2. PROTOTYPE DESIGN FOR SHARED RIDE SERVICES
The long range goal of this research project is to design, develop and implement an experimental demand responsive multi-origin/destination taxi system. The overall research program consists of information acquisition, studies of deployment and allocation of equipment, and development of pricing mechanisms and operating procedures for a multi-origin/destination taxi system. The work is divided into three stages: (1) Preliminary design for single-origin/destination trips (exclusive rides); (2) prototype design for shared rides; and (3) design improvements and experimental operations in an urban environment. This report describes the second stage of development which includes (1) a fare calculation procedure for shared rides which has been filed as a tariff under the Certificate of Public Convenience for a common carrier and approved by the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission, (2) a base station located at a taxicab company which is equipped with computer, auxiliary storage, terminal and radio transmitter, and (3) a taxicab equipped with the RSVP System for testing technological capabilities and conducting experimental operations.
- See also Volume 1, PB-255 975.
Carnegie Mellon UniversityFrew Avenue and Margaret Morrison
Pittsburgh, PA United States 15213
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Au, T
- Baumann, DMB
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Pagination: 60 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic control; Computer programs; Computers; Data collection; Demand responsive transportation; Fares; Laws; Level of service; Origin and destination; Passenger transportation; Passenger vehicles; Prices; Radio transmitters; Railroad stations; Taxicabs; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Experimental design; Services; Sharing
- Old TRIS Terms: Computer systems hardware
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00167021
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TST-76T-34 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-40081
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 29 1981 12:00AM