NUCLEAR POWERED TANKER. MARITIME DESIGN STUDY FOR 600,000 DWT NUCLEAR TANKER. VOLUME 1. PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS (MOD 1)
The study extended over a period of approximately six months. The principal objectives of the study were to develop the preliminary design for a 600,000 DWT nuclear powered ULCC, perform ship safety analyses, develop a preliminary quality assurance program, develop a ship construction schedule of key events, develop the shipyard/reactor manufacturer scope of supply, define the interfaces specifically related to the nuclear propulsion plant. In terms of budgetary estimates, an economic evaluation was performed for ship construction cost, ship refueling and drydocking cost, first of a kind ship construction cost, ship manning cost, and contingencies. Additionally, recommendations are made as a result of the ship safety studies.
- Paper copy also available in set of 5 reports PC E17, PB-269 722-SET.
Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock CompanyHull Technical Department
Newport News, VA United States 23607
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Pagination: 505 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction; Costs; Design; Docking; Drydocks; Economic analysis; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactors; Propulsion; Quality assurance; Quality control; Refueling; Safety; Scheduling; Shipbuilding; Specifications; Tankers; Very large crude carriers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Construction costs; Design criteria
- Old TRIS Terms: Drydocking; Marine nuclear propulsion; Nuclear reactor construction; Nuclear reactor safety; Ship construction costs; Ship construction specifications; Tanker ships
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Economics; Finance; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00166759
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA/RD-920-77043Vol1 Final Rpt., 1010-M/1-Vol-1
- Contract Numbers: MA-5-38022
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 29 1978 12:00AM