TRANSPORTATION IN AMERICA'S FUTURE: POTENTIALS FOR THE NEXT HALF CENTURY. PART 1. SOCIETAL CONTEXT
The report describes four potential socioeconomic futures for the United States and their implications for transportation through 2025. The futures--designated Success, Foul Weather, Disciplined Society, and Transformation--vary particularly in economic performance, climate, institutional structure, and personal values. For each future, Part 1 provides a detailed narrative account or scenario, accompanied by separate analyses of the energy, demographic, economic, and urban implications of each scenario. Part 2 provides demand forecasts for most modes; technology forecasts for twelve transportation modes and seven specific systems or technologies; and analyses of six critical transportation problems.
- See also Part 2, PB-270 468.
Stanford Research Institute333 Ravenswood Avenue
Menlo Park, CA United States 94025
Department of TransportationAssistant Secretary for Policy and International Affairs, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Curry, D
- Carlson, R
- HENDERSON, C
- Mandel, T
- Mitchell, A
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 131 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation; Climate; Climatology; Demand; Demographics; Economic conditions; Economic factors; Economic forecasting; Energy; Energy consumption; Forecasting; Freight transportation; Highway transportation; Intelligent transportation systems; Motor carriers; Multimodal transportation; Passenger transportation; Pipeline transportation; Pipelines; Planning; Railroad transportation; Social change; Socioeconomic factors; Supersonic transport planes; Technological forecasting; Technology assessment; Transportation; Urban areas; Urban transportation; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Cargo transportation
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Energy; Environment; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00166510
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/TPI/20-77/21-1 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-60160
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 29 1981 12:00AM