CONCRETE MEDIAN BARRIER RESEARCH. VOLUME 1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
A comprehensive research program was conducted to appraise performance of concrete median barriers. Investigations included twenty-four crash tests which evaluated performance of barrier profiles, precast designs, and end treatments. Theoretical investigations using mathematical crash simulation program identified a new barrier shape which was crash tested to compare performance with currently used profiles. Load and stability criteria were determined from experiments and used to analyze barrier alternatives. Three crash tests examined performance of the CMB when impacted at 45 and 55 mph by a 40,000-lb intercity bus. Accident data were collected and analyzed for in-service performance of the concrete median barrier. State-of-the-art investigations provide summary of state practice and specific CMB details. Cost factors are discussed for concrete median barrier construction. This research is considered applicable to concrete bridge parapets. This volume is the first of two.
- See Volume 2 dated March 76, PB-270110.
Southwest Research Institute6220 Culebra Road, P.O. Drawer 28510
San Antonio, TX USA 78228-0510
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Bronstad, M E
- Calcote, L R
- Kimball, C E
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Pagination: 94 p.
- TRT Terms: Collisions; Concrete structures; Crash injury research; Impact tests; Loads; Median barriers; Performance tests; Precast concrete; Research; Simulation; Stability (Mechanics); State of the art studies
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00166484
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-77- 3 Final Rpt., SWRI-03-3716-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8130
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 27 1978 12:00AM