YIELDING BARRIER TEST DATA BASE. A STUDY OF SIDE IMPACT CASES IN THE MULTI-DISCIPLINARY ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION (MAI) FILE
The report summarizes the reconstruction of 259 MDAI side impact cases using the CRASH 2 computer program. The results describe side impacts in terms of the crash environment and the damage sustained by both the struck and striking vehicles; comparisons were made between right and left side impacts. Injury thresholds, measured as a function of the direction of occupant motion, were examined for two vehicle size categories (compact and full size automobiles), in general, occupants of larger vehicles seem to have increased protection against severe and fatal injuries at the cost of a reduced threshold to minor injuries.
- See also PB-265 065.
Calspan Corporation4455 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY United States 14225
Washington, DC United States 20590
- MCHENRY, R R
- Baum, A S
- Neff, D O
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Pagination: 74 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Barriers (Roads); Compact automobiles; Computer programs; Crash injury research; Crash investigation; Crash tests; Crashes; Design standards; Doors; Fatalities; Injuries; Loss and damage; Multidisciplinary teams; Research; Safety; Side crashes; Simulation; Traffic crashes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers; Motor vehicle accidents
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00166457
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CALSPAN-ZR-5954-V-2Final Rpt.7, DOT-HS-802-319
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-6-01372
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 28 1978 12:00AM