PROCEDURES FOR ANALYZING THE ECONOMIC COSTS OF RAILROAD ROADWAY FOR PRICING PURPOSES. VOLUME I. PROCEDURES
The primary objectives of the study are to develop procedures for determining the roadway (fixed plant) costs associated with specific railroad services (routes, equipment, service levels) for use in the pricing of such services, and to demonstrate how these procedures can be implemented as an element of a railroad costing system. The costing procedures developed depart substantially from averaging techniques based on historical roadway expense data as currently used by most railroads. Determination and allocation of a major portion of roadway variable costs, i.e. those associated with the renewal of the track structure, is accomplished by applying predictive life cycle relationships to the specific track/traffic conditions under consideration. These predictive relationships are derived from existing track research data combined with the experience of track maintenance forces on the Southern Pacific. Methods are developed to systematically obtain and analyze relevant track/traffic data for use with the costing procedures.
- See also Volume 2, PB-254 063.
TOPS On-Line Service, Incorporated50 California Street
San Francisco, CA USA
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Danzig, J C
- Rugg, J A
- Williams, J H
- Hay, W W
- Publication Date: 1976-1
- Pagination: 267 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Ballast (Railroads); Cost engineering; Costs; Economic analysis; Freight traffic; Inspection; Level of service; Life cycle costing; Maintenance; Maintenance of way; Methodology; Operating costs; Pricing; Profits; Railroad tracks; Railroad transportation; Rates; Subgrade (Pavements); Traffic; Traffic density
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Freight rates; Services
- Old TRIS Terms: Track component investigations
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00166317
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/RPD-11-CM-R Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-30028
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 20 1977 12:00AM