IMPACTS OF MATERIAL SUBSTITUTION IN AUTOMOBILE MANUFACTURE ON RESOURCE RECOVERY. VOLUME II. APPENDICES A-E
Probable changes in the mix of materials used to manufacture automobiles were examined to determine if economic or technical problems in recycling could arise such that the 'abandoned automobile problem' would be resurrected. Future trends in materials composition of the automobile were quantified, and possible constraints related to material characteristics, availability, and price were examined. The automobile resource recovery industry was studied in terms of economic incentives for recycling and technical obstacles to recycling of deregistered automobiles. A macro-model of the economy, the EPA sponsored SEAS model, was used to study overall economic and environmental effects and to bring to light any secondary effects that might be important. This volume contains appendices covering the following subjects: (1) Future Material Composition in Automobiles; (2) Projections of Automobile Sales by Weight Class; (3) Automotive Use of Plastics and Recycling Possibilities; (4) Safety Aspects of Materials Substitution; (5) Energy Consequences.
- See also Volume 1, PB-257 542.
International Research and Development Corporation1501 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA USA 22209
Environmental Protection AgencyOffice of Research and Development
Cincinnati, OH USA 45268
- Renner, R
- Roig, R W
- Jones, T
- Weaver, C
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 168 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Aluminum; Automobile industry; Commodities; Costs; Demand; Economic analysis; Economics; Energy; Environment; Forecasting; Land reclamation; Manufacturing; Materials; Materials management; Materials recovery (Mining); Plastics; Recycling; Safety; Scrap metal; Shredding; Solid waste disposal; Supply; Trend (Statistics)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Separation
- Old TRIS Terms: Collection; Commodity management; Materials recovery; Materials replacement; Metal scrap; Reclamation; Substitutes; Substitution; Supply economics
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Finance; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00166282
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: IRT-403-R-Vol-2, EPA/600/5-76/007b
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-01-3142
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 20 1978 12:00AM