LOW-GROUND-PRESSURE CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT FOR USE IN DREDGED MATERIAL CONTAINMENT AREA OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE--EQUIPMENT INVENTORY
Sixty vehicles were evaluated to determine their capabilities for operating in and around confined dredged material disposal areas. The results represent the state of the art of vehicles that are commercially available or have undergone recent military testing and that can operate in soft soils. The vehicles were divided into 6 payload classes that indirectly reflect the size of the job that the vehicle or equipment may be expected to perform. Vehicle performance was expressed in terms of go-no go and traction capability on 5 selected soil strengths that cover the range of soil strengths measured in several representative dredged material disposal containment areas. The soils data revealed that within a given site, the operational environment of disposal areas can be highly variable type of material, profile strength, presence of surface and subsurface water, and vegetal cover; these factors combine to present a harsh operational environment for vehicles or equipment. A comparison of computed soil strength requirements for vehicles operating in fine-grained soils with measured soil strength data indicated that commercially available vehicles in the 6 categories can operate in all except the lowest soil strength units.
- Report on Dredged Material Research Program.
U.S. Army Waterways Experiment Station3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS USA 39180-6199
- Green, C E
- Rula, A A
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Pagination: 156 p.
- TRT Terms: Buoyancy; Clay; Construction equipment; Dredged materials; Dredging; Earthwork; Equipment; Excavating equipment; Fine grained soils; Ground vehicles; Inventory; Maintenance practices; Mud; Performance; Pressure; Sand; Silts; Soil mechanics; Soils; Strength of materials; Tires; Tracked vehicles; Traction; Trafficability; Vehicle performance; Waste disposal facilities; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fine grained materials; Interaction; Payload
- Old TRIS Terms: Commercial equipment; Confinement general; Low pressure; Performance engineering
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00166090
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: WES-TR-D-77-1 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 20 1978 12:00AM