REVIEW OF SHIP STRUCTURAL DETAILS
This review of structural detail design is intended to serve as a summary of the state of the art and a guide to development of tools for design and analysis of these details. It includes a count of common structural details aboard two modern commercial vessels, and labor estimates for representative sizes of those details intended to provide a total cost per type of detail ranking for those ships. Current shipyard practice is reported with sketches and application description of about 160 ship structural details. Design improvements related to shipyard producibility are suggested. The most relevant rules promulgated by technical and classification societies are excerpted, and comparison of rules is illustrated by application to specific examples. Damage induced by poor design or fabrication of details is reviewed and illustrated. The relatively sparse technical literature related to analysis and design of structural details is summarized. A framework for fatigue criteria is developed as a suggestion for possible detail strength criteria.
General DynamicsQuincy, MA United States 02169
- Glasfeld, R
- Jordan, D
- Kerr, M J
- Zoller, D
- Publication Date: 1977
- Pagination: 327 p.
- TRT Terms: Cargo ships; Cost estimating; Costs; Defects; Estimates; Failure; Fatigue (Mechanics); Girders; Hulls; Labor; Labor market; Liquefied natural gas; Loss and damage; Marine engineering; Merchant vessels; Ship structural components; Shipbuilding; Ships; Shipyards; State of the art; Strength of materials; Structural analysis; Structural mechanics; Structural members; Structures; Tankers; Vehicle design
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship design; Ship hulls; Structural damage
- Old TRIS Terms: Fatigue stress; Strength analysis
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Finance; Marine Transportation; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00166031
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC-266 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00024-74-C-5230
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 20 1977 12:00AM