A SUMMARY OF THE JOHN C. LODGE FREEWAY RESEARCH
The history and technical activities of freeway surveillance and control measures undertaken to improve traffic operations and safety are reported. The project was carried out in four phases. Stage I (1959-1963), found television surveillance to be the most effective means of detecting incidents as well as providing an excellent tool for the study of traffic operations and driver behavior. Stage II (1963-1966) established the best location for TV cameras and determined their visual limitations. Reliable control equipment and the first signal confirmation system were developed. And, on-line computer use was developed to replace inflexible analog equipment. Stage III (1966-1969), indicated that the closed-circuit TV system proved to be a useful tool for reducing the response time of official aid to accidents and incidents. A frontage road information system and a dynamically responsive metering technique were developed. Stage IV (1986-1971), concluded among other things, that the primary benefit of automatic incident detection ray in reducing the time lag for police assistance. Significant reductions in the violations of ramp control signals were obtained. Real-time traffic control to reduce surface travel time, and dynamic route guidance signs within the corridor were not successful.
- Sponsored by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration. Prepared for the National Cooperative Highway Research Program.
Taragin (Asriel)7831 16th Street, NW
Washington D.C., 20012, United States
- Taragin, A
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 68 p.
- TRT Terms: Behavior; Computers; Drivers; Emergency response time; Highway operations; Legislation; Reaction time; Television cameras; Traffic; Traffic control; Traffic safety; Traffic surveillance; Travel time
- Old TRIS Terms: Enabling legislation; On line computers
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00165919
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: NCHRP Project 20-3C
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 12 1978 12:00AM