COMPARATIVE PERFORMANCE OF STRUCTURAL LAYERS IN PAVEMENT SYSTEMS; VOLUME IV: ANALYSIS OF INSULATING LAYERS IN PAVEMENT TEST SECTIONS
This report describes an analysis of results from tests of pavements containing insulating layers to determine the structural adequacy of pavements containing various types of insulating materials and to determine the location of the insulating layers to ensure adequate structural performance of the pavements. Volume I of this report describes the design, construction, and behavior under traffic of both flexible and rigid prototype airfield pavements containing expanded polystyrene panels and lightweight concrete containing expanded polystyrene beads as the coarse aggregate. The results from the traffic tests are analyzed herein to determine why the pavements containing layers of the insulating materials performed as they did and the proper location within the pavement structure for the insulating layers to ensure adequate structural performance. Conclusions from the study indicate that the insulating materials behave differently than conventional paving materials. For flexible pavement design, the vertical compressive stresses and horizontal tensile stresses in the insulating materials should be kept below measured strength values. For rigid pavement design, granular or chemically stabilized base or subbase material should be provided between the concrete slab and the insulating material, and a base or subbase course should be placed between the polystyrene panels and subgrade materials susceptible to pumping. /Author/
- Also published as Federal Aviation Administration Report FAA-RD-73-198, IV.
U.S. Army Waterways Experiment StationSoils and Pavement Laboratory
Vicksburg, MS United States 39180
- Barker, W R
- Parker Jr, F
- Publication Date: 1977-1
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 145 p.
- TRT Terms: Electric insulating materials; Flexible pavements; Insulating materials; Pavement design; Pavement layers; Pavement performance; Polystyrene; Rigid pavements; Stresses; Subgrade (Pavements)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Pavement structure
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00165816
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Tech. Rpt. S07408 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT FA71WAI-218
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Jan 13 1978 12:00AM