PARTIAL-DEPTH REPAIR OF JOINTED PCC PAVEMENTS: CAST-IN-PLACE AND PRECAST PROCEDURES
The installation of durable patches on jointed portland cement concrete pavement using several types of cast-in-place concrete is described. The recommended procedures for pavement preparation and patch installation are given, and additional maintenance procedures as cleaning and sealing joints and assuring proper drainage are briefly discussed. The successful evaluation of proprietary products for repair concretes through a laboratory determination of concrete properties, field use of acceptable products, and the assessment of performance data during and after installation is discussed. Included in this study were some of the cements, admixtures, and other special products for repair concretes from a list maintained by the Materials Division of the Virginia Department of Highways & Transportation to provide assistance in the selection of the proprietary products. A production chart is presented as an aid in estimating the number of patches that can be installed during typical and closure periods. Concretes with short curing times increased potential production, however, the selection of a repair product is acknowledged to also be dependent on factors such as cost and availability of materials. A procedure for installing precast patches for partial-depth repairs is described; however, the rate of pavement preparation is too slow to make this procedure a viable alternative to cast-in-place patching.
- Record URL:
Virginia Highway and Transportation Research CouncilCharlottesville, VA United States
- Tyson, S S
- Publication Date: 1977-1
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 41 p.
- TRT Terms: Admixtures; Cast in place structures; Cement; Costs; Drainage; Joints (Engineering); Patching; Portland cement concrete; Precast concrete; Sealing compounds
- Old TRIS Terms: Joint
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00165799
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: VHTRC 77-R37
- Files: NTL, TRIS, ATRI, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 27 1977 12:00AM