PRE-DEMONSTRATION ACTIVITIES OF THE WESTPORT INTEGRATED TRANSIT SYSTEM
In August 1976 the Urban Mass Transportation Administration of the U.S. Department of Transportation awarded a demonstration grant to the Westport Transit District (WTD) to examine the feasibility of combining shared-ride taxi service and other paratransit services with conventional bus services in Westport, Connecticut. This report describes the Westport, Connecticut, Service and Methods Demonstration Project involving integrated transit operations and paratransit services, and documents and assesses the implementation process associated with this demonstration. This report focuses on documenting and assessing the brokerage role performed by the WTD in implementing shared-ride services. The contents include a discussion of the institutional and operational elements involved in contracting with local taxi operators to provide shared-ride service. In addition, arrangements for system maintenance, marketing, and public information dissemination are described. Implications from the Westport pre-demonstration experience are potentially of interest and applicability to other locales. /FHWA/
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/12002577
- Sponsored by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration, under contract to the Transportation Systems Center.
CACI, Incorporated12011 San Vicente Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA USA 90049
- Furniss, R E
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 81 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transportation; Demand responsive transportation; Demonstration projects; Implementation; Integrated systems; Maintenance; Paratransit services; Public transit; Taxicabs; Transportation system management; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Integration; Sharing
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Research;
- Accession Number: 00165773
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- ISBN: 1200-25-77
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0049-77-7Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1082
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1981 12:00AM