OPERATING PROFILES AND SMALL BUS PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS IN URBAN TRANSIT SERVICE
The overall objective of the Small Bus Project is the development of a general and performance specification for an advanced small urban transit bus. It is a six-phase program designed to insure that final vehicle specifications would evolve from a comprehensive analysis of all aspects of the operating environment and thus have a broad applicability. The Small Bus Project is presented in six separate reports: 1) Operations of Small Buses in Urban Transit Service in the United States. This report investigates the operating environment of small buses in the U.S. and relates them to vehicle requirements; 2) Bus Characteristics Needed for Elderly and Handicapped in Urban Travel. Constraints imposed on bus design by the elderly and handicapped are outlined; 3) Operating Profiles and Small Bus Performance Requirements in Urban Transit Service. This report develops a set of operating profiles and service requirements as the basis for specifications for a new small urban transit bus to meet the identified operational needs; 4) Guidelines for the Design of Future Small Transit Buses and Bus Stops to Accommodate the Elderly and Handicapped. This report presents scenarios for the future uses and market of small buses, as well as the conceptual design for three vehicle configurations to assess the feasibility of meeting design requirements; 5) General and Performance Specifications for a Small Urban Transit Bus. Requirements for an advanced design coach which may be used for both demand-responsive and general service on urban arterial streets are presented; 6) Small Transit Bus Requirements Study. This report summarizes the findings presented in the five project reports. /FHWA/
RRC International, Incorporated24 Wade Road
Latham, NY United States 12110
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Pagination: 41 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Bus stops; Demand responsive transportation; Highway operations; Minibuses; Operations; Performance based specifications; Persons with disabilities; Specifications; Traffic; Urban transportation; Vehicle design
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00165771
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-06-0074-73-3Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-50006
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1981 12:00AM