INCREASING EFFICIENCY IN BUS MAINTENANCE OPERATIONS
The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico Metropolitan Bus Authority is in the process of an overall improvement program directed towards upgrading both the level and quality of service provided to its customers. Despite the work that has been carried out in the planning and scheduling aspects of the improvement program, the number of buses in service has continued to decline below adequate service levels. Management identifies this situation with inefficient maintenance operations; hence it is this situation that provides the purpose for this study. This report presents the results of an extensive analysis of data collected by the maintenance workshop staff. Both a fleet analysis and shop analysis are carried out to evaluate shop performance, and initial estimates concerning shop productivity are also determined. An integrated control system is developed for routine utilization of shop data and monitoring of future shop performance. The details and documentation of these systems are contained in the Appendix of this report. Conclusions as well as recommendations for increasing maintenance efficiency are also presented in this report. /FHWA/
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/PR090004
- Sponsored by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration, DOT.
University of Puerto Rico, MayaguezTransportation Research Institute
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico 00928
- Martin-Vega, L A
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Pagination: 72 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transportation; Fleet management; Level of service; Production control; Systems analysis; Transportation; Transportation planning; Vehicle maintenance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fleets
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation system analysis
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00165761
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- ISBN: PR-09-0004
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-PR-09-0004-77-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: PR-09-0004
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1978 12:00AM