EXPERIMENTS ON FOUR DIFFERENT TECHNIQUES FOR AUTOMATICALLY LOCATING LAND VEHICLES: A SUMMARY OF RESULTS
In 1975, to further the development and to refine and dmonstrate multiuser Automatic Vehicle Monitoring (AVM) application, the Urban Mass Transportation Administration and the Transportation Systems Center (TSC) initiated a two-phase program. Phase I of this AVM program was completed in March 1977. The Phase I objective was to formally test four different vehicle-location concepts against a technical performance specification prepared by TSC. Phase II of the AVM program will involve the selection of one of the tested location methods, the detailed design of an overall AVM system, and its deployment in a major urban area for test and evaluation in bus-transit and police operations. During the winter of 1976-1977, four different technical methods for automatically locating surface vehicles were tested in both high and low-rise regions in Philadelphia, Pennsylvnaia. The tests were designed to evaluate the methods for their applicability as location subsystems of AVM systems. Two "signpost" concepts, one utilizing semi-passive transponders and the other active transmitters as well as two "area-coverage" concepts, one employing Loran-C and the other a pulse trilateration method, were tested. This report (Phase I) outlines the experimental objectives, summarizes the test results and presents the major findings. The Tables in this report chart out the Fairchild, the Hazaltine, the Hoffman, and the Teledyne Test Results. /UMTA/
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/MA060041
- Sponsored by DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Blood, B E
- Kliem, BWA
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 51 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic vehicle monitoring; Automobiles; Buses; Location; Performance based specifications; Police; Public transit; Specifications; Testing; Urban transportation
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00165751
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- ISBN: MA-06-0041
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0041-77-2Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 7 1981 12:00AM