A STUDY OF WHEELCHAIR ACCESS TO THE CURRENT TRANSIT BUS DESIGN
Public debate currently exists on the best way to improve and increase use of public transit equipment by the elderly and handicapped. This document is the result of a study conducted by AM General under a contract with the Department of Transportation, Urban Mass Transportation Administration, to investigate the feasibility and practicality of incorporating a wheelchair lift platform (level change) device for the standard 40-foot transit bus that would provide safe ingress and egress for wheelchair-bound passengers. This report describes the background and conceptual design of incorporating into the current 40-foot bus a level change device to board such passengers. In addition, it also covers seating, wheelchair positioning, and securing the wheelchair once on board. The recommended lift design for use on the standard bus is controlled by the driver by a set of electric switches. This lift is under control of the seated driver at all times. It is powered by hydraulics from either an existing power steering pump or a separate pump. The platform folds into a normal step and stepwell configuration when in the stowed position and has no effect on normal bus operations. It adds approximately 400 pounds to the weight of the bus and has a recommended platform load capacity of 1,000 pounds. The estimated costs of a wheelchair lift and restraint system option are in the range of $6,000 to $8,000 per bus. No major design problems are anticipated for the installation of such a device on any current design 40-foot transit use. /UMTA/
- Sponsored by DOT, Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
AM General Corporation32500 Van Born Road
Wayne, MI United States 48184
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Pagination: 61 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamic lift; Aged; Buses; Persons with disabilities; Vehicle design; Wheelchairs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lifts
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00165730
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MI-06-0017-77-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-60002
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 7 1981 12:00AM