REPAIR OF HOLLOW OR SOFTENED AREAS IN BRIDGE DECKS BY REBONDING WITH INJECTED EPOXY RESIN OR OTHER POLYMERS
The objective of this project was to develop a repair technique for bridge deck delaminations which could be used by highway maintenance personnel. The technique was to epoxy resin into the deteriorated areas to bond them back into a monolithic form with strength equal to or greater than the original deck. Equipment has been developed which makes the injection of epoxy into bridge deck delaminations (hollow planes) practical. The equipment is simple in design and can be operated with a minimum of training. The operational procedure is given in the report. The equipment costs about $2000 and plans are given in the report. Four concrete crack grouting epoxies have been lab and field tested. All four can be injected into hollow planes, but only two are believed to be satisfactory and one of these appears to be best. A performance specification has been developed: The most satisfactory epoxy tested meets this specification the other three do not. The long term durability of the repair technique has not been evaluated. But, the limited experience gained in this project and the previous project together with many long term successes in crack grouting type repairs makes chances look most promising. The cost of repair of a typical Interstate underpass structure with about 5% delaminated area has been estimated at less than $1000. The technique is best suited for use as a continuing maintenance procedure, rather than a one time reconstruction process. /Author/
- Prepared in cooperation with the Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
Topeka, KS United States 66612
- Stratton, F W
- Mccollom, B F
- Publication Date: 1974-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 104 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridge decks; Concrete; Corrosion; Cost effectiveness; Cracking; Fines (Materials); Maintenance practices; Performance based specifications; Polymers; Repairing; Specifications
- Uncontrolled Terms: Concrete cracking; Repairs
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00165535
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: K-F-72-5 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 72-5
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jan 13 1978 12:00AM