BLOW-UPS ON RESURFACED CONCRETE PAVEMENTS-REVISED
The objective of this study was to determine if overlaying a concrete pavement significantly influences blow-up performance and to isolate those variables that affect blow-up distress. The conclusions of this study were based upon the results of a statewide survey of overlaid pavement blow-ups and related factors of the field testing of a bare pavement and an overlayed pavement and laboratory testing of pavement cores taken from various Indiana pavements. The field testing of the vare pavement cores taken from various Indiana pavements. The field testing of the bare pavement and overlayered pavement consisted of monitoring deformation, temperature and moisture as a function of time. Moisture contents were determined by utilizing newly developed moisture gauges imbadded within the concrete pavements. The laboratory testing consisted of a microscopic analysis, and the determination of thermal and moisture properties of selected pavement field cores. The microscopic testing included compositional analysis, general physical condition investigation, and the detection and measurement of infiltration of polished sections taken from the field pavement cores. Coefficients of thermal expansion for the over dry and twenty-four hour saturation moisture states and the effect of moisture on expansion were determined on selected field pavement cores using a special heating chamber in conjunction with a sensitive deformation measuring system. /Author/
- Sponsored by the Indiana State Highway Commission.
Purdue University/Indiana Department of Transportation JHRPPurdue University, School of Civil Engineering
West Lafayette, IN United States 47907-1284
- Gress, D L
- Publication Date: 1977-8
- Features: Appendices; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 131 p.
- TRT Terms: Blowup (Pavements); Concrete pavements; Deformation; Field tests; Laboratory tests; Moisture content; Overlays (Pavements); Resurfacing; Thermal expansion
- Old TRIS Terms: Pavement cores
- ITRD Terms: 5248: Blow up
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00165513
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: JHRP-76-25 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: HPR-1(13) Part II
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 27 1977 12:00AM