REAL-TIME SIMULATION OF TANKER OPERATIONS FOR THE TRANS-ALASKA PIPELINE SYSTEM
The Trans-Alaska Pipeline System will be completed this year. Upon its completion oil will begin flowing through the pipeline from Prudhoe Bay and tankers will transport the oil from the pipeline's southern terminals at Port Valdez to ultimate destinations in the "lower forty-eight." The average size of these tankers is 120,000 dwt. Ships of this size and type have not heretofore transited those waters. This paper presents the original real-time simulation work as designed by the authors and the Office of the Pipeline Coordinator of the State of Alaska, with inputs from the U.S. Coast Guard, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and various segments of the marine industry, and carried out at the Netherlands Ship Model Basin. It discusses the behavior of the man-controlled ship, simulation in a general sense, real-time simulation in particular, and the availability of real-time ship simulators. It also describes various real-time ship simulators, experimental design theory, and the specific experiments conducted for the TAPS tanker operations at Valdez, Alaska. The results of these experiments are presented as well as conclusions pertaining to the application and future value of such real-time ship simulators.
- Presented at the Annual Meeting, New York, New York, November 10-12, 1977.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Keith, V F
- Porricelli, J D
- Hooft, J P
- Paymans, P J
- Witt, FGJ
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 31 p.
- TRT Terms: Human machine systems; Maneuverability; Maneuvering; Petroleum industry; Ship operations; Ship pilotage; Ship simulators; Simulation; Tankers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Petroleum trade
- Old TRIS Terms: Man machine communications; Tanker maneuvering; Tanker operations
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00165453
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 23 1977 12:00AM