CRYOGENIC APPLICATION OF 4 ONE-HALF PERCENT MG-ALUMINIUM ALLOY -- WELDING AND INSPECTION
This paper discusses the application in shipbuilding of 4 one-half percent Mg-Al-alloys in cryogenic containment vessels for liquefied natural gas (LNG). Metallurgy, physical and mechanical properties are described. The welding methods, the related welding defects and their bearing on safety and performance are considered together with the necessity for inspection and control. The limitations of the various non-destructive methods are underlined.
- IIW (Intl Inst of Weld) Public Sess and Met Techn Conf, Sydney, Australia, 21-28 August 1976.
International Institute of Welding,
- Wintermark, H
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Aluminum alloys; Cryogenic materials; Gas industry; Inspection; Liquefied gases; Liquefied natural gas; Magnesium alloys; Materials management; Nondestructive tests; Shipbuilding materials; Storage facilities; Tankers; Welding
- Old TRIS Terms: Cryogenic materials storage; Gas storage; Lng welding; Magnesium aluminum; Magnesium aluminum alloys; Materials inspection methods
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00165410
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper 5 Conf Proc
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 23 1977 12:00AM