NAVIGATIONAL AIDS IN HARBOURS AND PORT APPROACHES
Recent years have seen a rapid development of navigational aids, a process aided by military and space research. Ports are therefore faced with an increasingly wide choice of equipment. The study aims to produce for the advice of Lighthouse Authorities, shipowners, equipment manufacturers, and in particular Port Authorities, indications of the foreseeable requirements in shipborne and shore based aids to navigation and their associated systems in ports and their approaches. To achieve this aim, five areas of work have been identified: (a) A survey of the navigational aids available and under development both shipborne and land based with a view to assessing their particular application to navigation in harbours and their approaches. (b) A systems anslysis of the available aids suitable for such navigation including an analysis of the interaction between the various types of aid in these conditions. (c) A preliminary cost/benefit study of the value of navigational aids in harbours and harbour approaches in assisting the free movement and turnround of ships, and in avoiding collisions and strandings. (d) A study of the application of the considerations arising from (a), (b), and (c) in particular in relation to Port Advisory Services in the United Kingdom. (e) A comparison of the standard of service provided by typical United Kingdom Port Advisory Services with that in certain foreign ports.
- A special joint effort of the Department of Environment, Department of Trade and Industry, Chamber of Shipping, Trinity House, Transport and General Workers Union, United Kingdom Pilot Association and the Royal Radar Establishment.
National Ports Council17 North Audley Street
London W1Y 1WE, England
- Publication Date: 1972-1
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 108 p.
- TRT Terms: Collision avoidance systems; Harbor traffic control; Navigation systems; Navigational aids; Port operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Anticollision systems; Harbor operations
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00035921
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Ports Council
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 20 1974 12:00AM