IMPACTS ON OTHER CARRIERS OF RAIL MERGERS AND CONSOLIDATIONS. RAIL MERGER STUDY. ISSUE PAPER NUMBER 2
This paper reviews the role of the Interstate Commerce Commission in rail merger cases with respect to impacts on carriers not directly involved in applications as has been the case in the past and as it will be under provisions of the 4R Act of 1976. In the past ICC concentrated on maintaining inter-railroad competition in an area, protecting weak carriers if possible. New statutory provisions may cause ICC to place less importance on the plight of other railroads, weak or strong. This paper examines 16 policy options, the circumstances under which they may be appropriate and their probable effectiveness in achieving the ICC's objectives.
- See RRIS 156085 for Issue Paper 1; RRIS Bulletin 7801,24.
Interstate Commerce CommissionRail Services Planning Office
Washington, DC USA 20423
- Publication Date: 1977-8-12
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 77 p.
- TRT Terms: Competition; Consolidations; Industry structure; Mergers; Policy; Trackage rights
- Identifier Terms: Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976; U.S. Interstate Commerce Commission
- Old TRIS Terms: Government policies
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00165085
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Issue Paper 2
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 23 1977 12:00AM