INTERACTIVE TRAILER TOWING SIMULATION
The interactive use of a vehicle-trailer handling model is presented. The model is a high resolution simulation of general vehicle (passenger cars to multitrailer) handling, braking, and vehicle-barrier interaction which is exercised interactively with a "human driver" over a realistic road (pavement, shoulder, median strip, etc.). At all times during the simulation, the operator can simulate the use of any normally available controls, i.e., steering, braking, throttle. The model has been developed and/or used over a number of years under various contracts with NHTSA, FHWA, DOD, and a number of industrial companies. Included in the paper are the results of a simulation run involving driver performance, vehicle parameters, and roadway conditions.
- Preprint for meeting held October 18-22, 1976.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Barbarek, L A
- Chiapetta, R L
- Viergutz, O J
- Publication Date: 1976-10
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobile drivers; Automobiles; Computer graphics; Driving simulators; Simulation; Stability (Mechanics); Towing devices; Trailers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Interactive graphics
- Old TRIS Terms: Analogies
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00164992
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 760791 Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 27 1977 12:00AM