HYDROGEN FUEL IN THE SUBCOMPACT AUTOMOBILE
Recent advances in hydrogen energy technology have made possible the consideration of a subcompact automobile utilizing metal hydrides, or powdered hydrogen storage, and a low cost electrolyzer for vehicle recharging. Basic considerations of the metal hydride automotive system are discussed regarding various vehicular prototypes. Particular emphasis is placed on a hydrogen minicar application. Utilizing a low cost electrolyzer and utility grid electricity for vehicle recharging, it is possible to make a comparison of the metal hydride hydrogen engine system with other electric vehicles on the basis of storage weight, vehicle range, and cost of operation.
- Preprint for meeting held June 7-10, 1976.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Billins, R E
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Compact automobiles; Costs; Energy; Fuels; Hydrogen; Hydrogen fuels; Motor fuels; Vehicle power plants
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile engines; Small car
- Subject Areas: Energy; Finance; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00164989
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 760572 Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 27 1977 12:00AM