STATE OF THE ART OF SHIPBOARD DRIVES--PAST, PRESENT, FUTURE
The authors trace the development of the shipboard drives from the transition of D-C power distribution on ships to A-C power distribution. A review of what has been developed for multiple speed and/or variable torque applications and what is available for future consideration. A brief explanation of the principles of presently used and newer motor variable speed control schemes is included. However, it is not the intent of the authors to provide an in-depth technical study.
- Presented at the Gulf Section Meeting of SNAME, New Orleans, La., April 11, 1977.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- NICHOLS, R H
- Johnston, W H
- Publication Date: 1977-4-1
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Bow thrusters; Direct current motors; Electric drives; Electric power plants; Electric power transmission; High speed rail; Propulsion
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced propulsion; Power plant selection
- Subject Areas: Energy; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00164855
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 29 1977 12:00AM