THE IDENTIFICATION OF NAVAL FUELS AND NATURAL FLUOROPHORS IN SEA WATER BY FLUORESCENCE SPECTROMETRY
Fluorescence and Excitation spectra of Navy Standard Fuel Oil (NSFO), Navy Distillate Fuel (ND), Diesel Fuel and Navy Aircraft fuels (JP-4 and JP-5) were obtained. Excitation spectra and fluorescence spectra are characteristic and may allow selective identification of these fuels. Quantitative determinations by fluorescence analysis of ND fuel oil extracted from sea water samples, with cyclohexane, showed saturation values of approximately 11 ppm. An all glass, in-situvacuum filtering water sampler was designed and built for collection of filtered (.45 micron glass) noncontaminated sea water samples for the Fluorescence analysis determination of the natural background fluorescence.
Naval Postgraduate School1 University Circle
Monterey, CA United States 93943
- Howard, H W
- Publication Date: 1972-5
- Pagination: 83 p.
- TRT Terms: Detectors; Fluorescence; Oil spill cleanup; Oil spills; Oils; Spectroscopic analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Oil fluorescence; Oil spill detection
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00035673
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA Thesis
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 27 1973 12:00AM