URETHANE FOAM FLOATS FOR DREDGE PIPE
The feasibility of using urethane foam floats as replacements for conventional steel dredge pipe floats was investigated. Material and design requirements were determined, and two 1/8-scale models were fabricated. It was concluded that a full-scale model of a float of this design could be fabricated by personnel at a remote location with limited knowledge of materials and equipment for foaming operations but that only in-service testing of a prototype model fabricated in the field would indicate whether it would be able to satisfactorily withstand the severe conditions encountered in actual use.
Naval Civil Engineering LaboratoryPort Hueneme, CA United States
- Drisko, R W
- Drelicharz, J A
- Publication Date: 1972-4
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Dredging; Flotation; Life preservers; Plastic foams; Polyurethane foams
- Old TRIS Terms: Flotation devices
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00035665
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NCEL-TN-1223 Final Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 27 1972 12:00AM