DESIGN AND ANALYSIS OF SKEW BRIDGE STRUCTURES.
This paper reviews the current design and analytical procedures used for prestressed concrete skew bridges in the short to medium span range. The location of prestressing tendons, type and positions of bearings, are important factors affecting the distribution and magnitude of bending moments, shear forces, torsion and support reactions in skew bridges. Techniques for optimising reinforcement layouts in skew slabs, and methods of applying limit state design are presented, the effects of span articulation, diversely spaced columns, and variations in the deck cross-section are also discussed. Descriptions are given of typical skew bridges constructed from solid and voided slabs, continuous and discretely placed beams, and from single and multi-cell box girders, using in situ concrete and precast elements in either segmental or beam form. In each case reference is made to the particular structural features influencing the design. Analytical methods involving computer programs are described including grillage and finite element idealizations of the structure with the prestress components represented separately either in a plate or plane frame analysis. (Author) /TRRL/
- Proceedings of the Symposium on Prestressed Concrete.
CONCRETE INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIAPO BOX 848
SYDNEY, NEW SOUTH WALES Australia 1585
- Lee, D J
- Chaplin, E C
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Beams; Bending moments; Box girders; Bridge design; Bridges; Coefficients; Computer programs; Conferences; Design; Failure; Finite element method; Loads; Methodology; Prestressed concrete; Safety; Shear stress; Skew bridges; Slabs; Strength of materials; Structural design; Structures; Torsion; Ultimate load design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Shear forces
- Old TRIS Terms: Analytical method
- ITRD Terms: 3472: Beam; 3474: Box girder; 8525: Conference; 9011: Design (overall design); 3355: Engineering structure; 5520: Failure; 6490: Finite element method; 6452: Limit; 5567: Load; 9102: Method; 4796: Prestressed concrete; 5504: Safety coefficient; 3448: Skew bridge; 3491: Slab; 8645: Software; 5544: Strength (mater)
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls;
- Accession Number: 00164329
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: Analytic
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 13 1978 12:00AM