SUBSEQUENT YIELD SURFACES FOR ANNEALED MILD STEEL UNDER SERVO-CONTROLLED STRAIN AND LOAD HISTORIES: AGING, NORMALITY, CONVEXITY, CORNERS, BAUSCHINGER AND CROSS EFFECTS
Initial-yield results on SAE 1017 steel are presented for: four different specimens under combined axial load and twisting moment for servo-controlled loading; and six different specimens under various combinations of servo-controlled axial strain and shear strain. Subsequent yield curves determined by small strain offset multiple probes on a given specimen are presented covering all four quadrants of axial stress-shear stress space. The resulting families of subsequent yield curves allows conclusions to be drawn concerning the effects of plastic strain and strain aging. All curves were found to be convex and normality of the plastic strain increment vector was obeyed. The response to plastic straining allowed discussion of corner formation, translation, rotation, Bauschinger and cross effects of subsequent yield curves and formation of a limit curve.
- Sponsored by the Office of Naval Research.
Brown UniversityEngineering Materials Research Laboratory
Providence, RI USA 02912
- Michno Jr, M J
- Findley, W N
- Publication Date: 1972-6
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 34 p.
- Issue Number: 19
- TRT Terms: Plasticity; Shear stress; Structural analysis; Yield stress
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00035636
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: Task Order 064-424 Tech Rpt
- Contract Numbers: N00014-67-A-01910003
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 13 1973 12:00AM