STRESS FIELD IN A SPHERE SUBJECTED TO LARGE DEFORMATIONS
The previously obtained strain fields in a sphere subjected to large deformations were converted into stress fields by using two different approaches: the strain-energy function and the concept of natural stress. Complete determination of stresses on the equatorial plane and on a plane parallel to it are given. The deviatoric stresses on the equatorial plane and the maximum shear stresses along the vertical axis of the sphere were determined using both approaches. The simplicity of the theory using the natural stress concept offers a good alternative for materials exhibiting linear relationship between natural strain and natural stress.
- Sponsored by the Office of Naval Research.
Catholic University of AmericaStress Analysis Laboratory, Civil and Mechanical Eng Dept
Washington, DC United States 20017
- Chen, T L
- Durelli, A J
- Publication Date: 1972-6
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 45 p.
- Issue Number: 30
- TRT Terms: Deformation; Shear stress; Structural analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Deformation stress
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00035634
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: 4.043.051
- Contract Numbers: N0014-67-A-0377-0011
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 13 1972 12:00AM