THE ROLE OF BRITISH RAIL IN PUBLIC TRANSPORT
In the report the select committee seeks to provide information for the House of Commons to judge the government's policy on transport. Although the committee have concentrated on the role of British Rail, their findings are concerned with all forms of public transport. The findings are based on evidence submitted by government departments, nationalised industries, local authorities, private transport organisations, unions and consumer organisations, and are presented under the following headings: the present state of British Rail; likely pattern of future demand; the future form and size of the rail network; manpower; co-ordinated passenger transport; competition on trunk routes; co-ordination of other services outside major conurbations; the conurbations; freight; expenditure on railways and public transport by central and local government; allocation of benefits derived from public expenditure to users of transport services; pricing; fiscal policy; investment; consumer organisations; exports; property; railway unions; statistics; national transport planning. Conclusions compare BR with similar Western European systems and also makes recommendations concerning the correct use of railway investment, and also the co-operation between all forms of public transport. /TRRL/
- House of Commons Select committee on Nationalised Industries, Report and Proceedings of the Committee, Volume 1.
Her Majesty Stationary Office49 High Holborn
London WC1V 6HB, England
- Publication Date: 1977
- Pagination: 136 p.
- TRT Terms: Administration; Benefit cost analysis; Buses; Demand; Development; Federal government; Financing; Forecasting; Freight transportation; Intercity transportation; Investments; Policy; Policy making; Public transit; Railroad transportation; Socioeconomic factors; Specifications; Subsidies; Transportation policy; Urban areas
- Identifier Terms: British Rail
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom; United States
- Old TRIS Terms: National transportation policies
- ITRD Terms: 155: Administration; 285: Demand (econ); 9013: Development; 244: Financing; 132: Forecast; 1112: Freight transport; 183: Government (national); 388: Inter urban; 227: Investment; 173: Policy; 744: Public transport; 1173: Rail bound transport; 177: Specifications; 8119: United Kingdom; 313: Urban area
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00163875
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monog Rpt.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 1981 12:00AM