A NOTE ON BUCKLING OF SPHERICAL CAPS WITH INITIAL ASYMMETRIC IMPERFECTIONS
A new formulation for spherical cap strain-displacement relations including initial imperfections is adopted which is based on Donnell-type nonlinear cylindrical shell theory. A series of runs was made to determine the asymmetric buckling pressures for the spherical caps with 90-deg pieshaped imperfection segments. Results obtained for deflection response values of 6 and 8 are indeed lower than those obtained previously.
- Also available in the Physics of Fluids, V15N4, pp 540-554 April 1972.
Catholic University of AmericaDepartment of Civil and Mechanical Engineering
Washington, DC USA 20017
- Kao, R
- Publication Date: 1971-12
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Buckling; Cylinders (Geometry); Shells (Structural forms); Structural analysis
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cylindrical shells
- Old TRIS Terms: Spherical shells
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00035630
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CATHU-CME-N SF-71-01
- Contract Numbers: NSF-GK-23747
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 27 1972 12:00AM