CORRELATION OF RESISTANCE TEST RESULTS FROM FIXED-AND FREE-TO-TRIM METHODS FOR A DYNAMIC-LIFT CRAFT(MODEL 4667)
Customary methods are discussed for determining the resistance characteristics in smooth water of hulls of planing and hydrofoil craft. Results are presented and compared for a hull, with possible application to either type of craft, which has been tested by both the fixed-trim method, generally used for hydrofoil craft, and the free-to-trim method, generally used for planing craft. Recommendations are made for conducting future resistance tests of dynamic-lift craft, i.e., both planing and hydrofoil hulls, in the fixed-trim mode as well as for converting the data to the form of free-to-trim test data to facilitate general design studies for both types of craft.
Naval Ship Research and Development CenterBethesda, MD United States 20034
- Hubble, E N
- Publication Date: 1972-4
- Pagination: 96 p.
- TRT Terms: Hydrofoil boats; Hydroplanes; Performance
- Old TRIS Terms: Hydrofoil craft; Hydrofoil performance; Model testing
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00035619
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NSRDC-3544 R&D Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 27 1972 12:00AM