The application is discussed of the present knowledge of frost problems in geotechnics in relation to important environmental factors such as engineering soil properties, temperature, heat, thermal radiation and heat conduction, basic principles of frost penetration into soil, insulation of roads against frost, and concepts about engineering in permafrost. The results are incorporated of some 25 years of theoretical and experimental research on soil freezing and associated soil moisture migration under a freezing temperature gradient. The scientific and technical information presented could help suggest basic methods of solving practical problems related to frost action in soils. The principles governing the unsaturated, water-film flow mechanism in a thermo-osmotic soil moisture transfer process from groundwater toward the cold front upon freezing are given. The book concludes with a brief discussion of lunar soil mechanics.
Rutgers University Press100 Joyce Kilmer Avenue
Piscataway, NJ USA 08854-8099
- Jumikis, A R
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 375 p.
- TRT Terms: Electric insulating materials; Frost action; Geotechnical engineering; Groundwater; Heat flow; Heat radiation; Insulating materials; Moisture content; Moon; Permafrost; Properties of materials; Research; Soil mechanics; Soil water; Soils; Temperature
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lunar soils; Soil properties
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Research;
- Accession Number: 00163681
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monograph
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 7 1978 12:00AM