DEVELOPMENT OF AN INSTRUMENTATION PROGRAM FOR STUDYING BEHAVIOR OF A SEGMENTAL CONCRETE BOX GIRDER BRIDGE
An instrumentation scheme is developed for monitoring structural response of the Turkey Run segmental box girder bridge. Instrumentation is specified and analytic models are described which will be correlated with behavior of the actual structure in the second phase of the project. Strain gages are placed on reinforcement bars and concrete at selected segment sections to monitor transverse moment tractions. Tractions will be monitored under pre-specified truck loads. The same truck loads are used in a finite element analysis and an influence surface analysis of transverse bending. Empirical results will be compared with those of the finite element analysis in order to check the accuracy of the computer program used by the Indiana State Highway Commission and to check assumptions of the analytic models. Thermal response of box girders is an important design consideration, yet little information is availble. Thermistors are placed in the Turkey Run bridge to determine the magnitudes of thermal gradients and to determine the daily and seasonal variation of thermal gradients. Finally, long-term deformations are important in any concrete structure. Implants are attached near the pier segment in order to monitor long-term creep rotations with mechanical strain gages. This will help determine the significance of moment re-distribution resulting from creep rotations in this precast structure. The instrumentation scheme is designed to minimize errors during testing and to provide a systematic organization of testing procedures and data evaluation. /Author/
Purdue University/Indiana Department of Transportation JHRPPurdue University, School of Civil Engineering
West Lafayette, IN United States 47907-1284
- Holman, R J
- Publication Date: 1977-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 112 p.
- TRT Terms: Box girders; Bridge design; Bridges; Concrete; Creep; Deformation; Finite element method; Instrumentation; Load tests; Reinforcement (Engineering); Strain gages; Structural design; Structural engineering; Thermal stresses
- Uncontrolled Terms: Thermal response
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00163650
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: JHRP-77-4 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Jan 13 1978 12:00AM