THE TRANSIT SYSTEMS OF SMALL CITIES IN ONTARIO
This report presents a description of the management and operating characteristics of transit sytems in the small cities of Ontario. Cities with less than 120,000 in population are considered as small for the purpose of this study. The information for the study was obtained from the system by means of a Management Questionnaire, visits to the systems, and discussions with persons in transit management and operation. Three main divisions of transit management and operation are recognized and described in detail. These are: (1) Systems Management (i.e. covering items such as types of administration, management procedures, management information needs, etc.) (2) Systems Operation (i.e. characteristics of system operation, system operations procedures, and manpower utilization) (3) Finance (i.e. aspects of revenue generation, operating costs and its components, costs and financial records, and operating subsidies are described). Where data were available the range and average of each selected measure of effectiveness for groupings of cities by size are tabulated. Special emphasis has been given to those items where methods of management and operation are weak. Model formulations for some transit measures of effectiveness are also presented. The study should be helpful in gaining an understanding of both small and large city transit systems in the Province of Ontario.
- This research was supported through the Student Summer Research Grant Program by the University of Toronto/York University Joint Program in Transportation under a grant from the Transportation Development Agency.
Toronto-York University Joint Program in Transportation4700 Keele Street, Room 430 Osgoode Hall
Downsview, Ontario Canada M3J 1P3
- Perera, M H
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 91 p.
- TRT Terms: Finance; Operations; Questionnaires; Small cities; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation system management; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation administration
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00163632
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Research Rept. No 39
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Oct 29 1981 12:00AM