The experiences of 3 major companies which have initiated van pool programs are reviewed, the interrelationship between the van pool program and the commuter computer is outlined, and comments are made on the vehicle, the driver, and the selection and development of commuter routes. The responsibilities of various parties involved in the operation of van pool programs, the administration of the maintenance program, insurance, and the financial aspects of such programs are also discussed. The study found that the types of vehicles used in these programs differ in size, weight, and specifications. The advantages of the 1-ton vehicle are noted, and such features as rider comfort and safety items are discussed. The ctiteria and method of van pool driver selection and training as well as the driver agreement are also discussed.
Commuter Computer--Van Pool3440 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 610
Los Angeles, CA USA 90010
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Commuters; Computers; Driver training; Drivers; Financing; Insurance; Vanpools; Vehicle characteristics; Vehicle maintenance; Vehicle safety
- Old TRIS Terms: Vehicular safety
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting;
- Accession Number: 00163587
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 7 1978 12:00AM