RECOMMENDED STATEWIDE TRANSPORTATION GOALS POLICIES AND OBJECTIVES
This publication which represents the policy element of the California Transportation Plan, covers the basic principles and policies to be used in transportation decision-making, as well as the applications and implementations of the policies. The way in which California's transportation system interacts with the social, economic, and natural environment of the state is described, future alternative directions are discussed, and transportation problems and the effect on them of continuing current policies are explored. Eight policy principles to guide decision-making are established. These principles relate to: provision of transportation services by the private sector; efficient use of existing system; full analysis of alternatives; pavement for transportation by users; and regulations. Government (state, local and regional) responsibility in transportation is discussed, and policies are presented to minimize adverse effects of transportation decisions on energy, capital, safety, and labor resources. Environemntal protection is considered in policies on land use, air quality, noise and community disruption. Principles relating to transportation issues and problems are formulated and applied to specific transportation problems. Institutional, financial and regulatory changes resulting from these policies are discussed, and short and long range actions are recommended.
California State Transportation Board1120 N Street
Sacramento, CA USA 95814
- Publication Date: 1977-3
- Pagination: 243 p.
- TRT Terms: Decision making; Energy; Environmental impacts; Finance; Policy; Private enterprise; Regional transportation; Regulation; Safety; Socioeconomic factors; Transportation; Transportation planning; Transportation policy; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Future policies; Substitutes
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Finance; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00163584
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1981 12:00AM