GEOTECHNICAL AND SOIL ENGINEERING MAPPING FOR ROADS AND THE STORAGE OF MATERIALS DATA
Methods of, and instructions for preparing geotechnical and soil engineering maps are described in detail and instructions are given on how to prepare and process materials data for storage in a form in which they can be easily retrieved. Geotechnical and soil engineering mapping terms are defined, and factors that must be considered in geotechnical mapping for route location are discussed. Details of map and route preparation are described. Soil engineering mapping to delineate and identify significantly different soil and rock types from the point of view of roads and foundation engineering is detailed. The mapping will help locate suitable construction materials, indicate both favorable and unfavorable subgrade conditions, and define problem areas. The objectives of data banking are discussed, and the principles on which materials data banking and extrapolation are based are detailed. The processing of data for banking is also described.
National Institute for Road Research, South AfricaP.O. Box 395
Pretoria, Transvaal, South Africa
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 40 p.
- TRT Terms: Building materials; Engineering soils; Foundation engineering; Geotechnical engineering; Highways; Information processing; Information systems; Location; Rocks; Soil mapping; Subgrade (Pavements)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Highway location
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00163575
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Draft TRH-2
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM