ASPHALT QUALITY EVALUATION
The physical property variations of asphaltic concrete (AC) pavement associated with variations in asphalt grade and source, aggregate source, environmental temperature, moisture, and asphalt aging are documented and compared. The testing program was divided into 2 phases; asphalt testing; asphaltic concrete testing. Parallel testing was dome at 2 different temperatures to indicate the effect of environmental temperature. Similarly parallel testing was done using fresh asphalt and artificially aged asphalt. Details of the tests are outlined, and the results are tabulated. The study found that considerable differences in temperature susceptibility exist among asphalts wihch have been supplied for road construction. Laboratory results indicate low temperature cracking of AC pavements could be a problem in some areas. Methods are available for incorporating low temperature asphalt properties into asphalt concrete pavement design and for providing some control over low temperature asphalt properties by appropriate restrictions in the purchase specifications. Further findings regarding instantaneous resilient modulus of asphalt concrete, aggregate source, asphalt source and moisture susceptibility, and the transducer used in the tensile split test are presented. Recommendations relating to low temperature asphalt properties, and resilient modulus testing.
Boise, ID United States 83707-1129
- STANLEY, A F
- Publication Date: 0
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 52 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates by source; Asphalt; Asphalt concrete; Asphalt tests; Environmental impacts; Modulus of resilience; Moisture content; Pavement cracking; Quality control; Specifications; Temperature; Tension tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Aggregate sources; Asphalt grading; Quality; Sources
- Old TRIS Terms: Aging; Tensile splitting tests
- Subject Areas: Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00163574
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Research Project 62
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM