A STUDY OF EFFICIENCY INDICATORS OF URBAN PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS
This report presents the efforts of a research project on efficiency problems of urban public transportation systems (UPTS). Three test regions were selected in an effort to discover, clarify, and understand the efficiency relationships within UPTS. The test regions vary from a small one-mode region to a large multimode region. The UPTS are first divided into three major system components i.e. primary services, support functions, and the network. Then each system is divided by mode, and each component by each distinct function carried within the system component. The inputs to the system are also divided by type, i.e. labor, capital, and energy, and according to the contributor i.e. the operator, the direct user, the society at large, and the government at all levels. Input units are also traced in terms of many costs (Fiscal Inputs Matrix) and physical units (Physical Inputs Matrix). System outputs are also separated by the receiver and the nature of the outputs. Efficiency analysis is then explored in a hierarchical manner exploring three types of relationships, i.e. system inputs vs. system outputs; component inputs vs. component inputs; and component outputs vs. component outputs. Efficiency indicators are then discussed as to the type of useful service they may offer in various types of efficiency analysis problems. /Author/
- Sponsored by the Office of the Secretary, Department of Transportation.
University of Pennsylvania, PhiladelphiaTransportation Studies Center, 3400 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA United States 19104
- Tomazinis, A R
- Publication Date: 1977-1
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 299 p.
- TRT Terms: Costs; Economic efficiency; Energy; Energy consumption; Financial capital; Financing; Government funding; Multimodal transportation; Needs assessment; Policy; Productivity; Public transit; Subsidies; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency; User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Energy intensiveness; Government policies
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Energy; Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00163559
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TST-77-47 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-50228
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 9 1982 12:00AM