DETERMINATION OF CEMENT CONTENT IN SOIL-CEMENT MIXTURES AND CONCRETE
The final report summarizes the results from laboratory work conducted to establish the necessary analytical parameters for determination of cement content in soil-cement mixtures and concrete. The technique of activation using neutrons from an isotopic source was selected for this application. The type, size, and spectrum of the neutron source, the sample size, source-sample geometry, and detector size are the most important parameters determined in this effort. The report also describes other less successful approaches that were explored such as sample analysis using prompt capture gamma rays. Additionally, the suitability of activation and measurement hardware is considered. The laboratory experiments described determined the baseline parameters needed for the required sensitivity and precision. Typical data influencing the configuration of the field systems are presented. Design and operational considerations for the field systems follow the discussion of laboratory experiments. One section deals with equipment recommendations with the specific sources of commercially available hardware used being noted. Operating instructions of each system are given in a separate section.
- Sponsored by the Louisiana Department of Highways. Research was conducted in cooperation with the Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, and the Louisiana Department of Highways.
Louisiana State University, Baton RougeDivision of Engineering Research
Baton Rouge, LA USA 70803
- Iddings, F A
- Arman, A
- Publication Date: 1977-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 226 p.
- TRT Terms: Cement content; Concrete; Equipment; Fans; Field studies; Laboratory studies; Mix design; Soil cement
- Old TRIS Terms: Blowers
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00163553
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-LA-LSU-NS-2 Final Rpt., FCP 44F3 243
- Contract Numbers: LA HPR Study 70-1ST
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 29 1977 12:00AM