BRAKE DYNAMOMETER EVALUATION OF THE DETROIT TRAFFIC ROAD TEST
This paper describes the collection of braking data from a test vehicle having four wheel disc brakes and development of a brake dynamometer simulation test for the Detroit Traffic Road Test. Feasibility of using dynamometer simulation for road tests was shown by obtaining a correlation in the disc pad wear in both vehicle and dynamometer tests. Temperature effects on wear were seen in both the vehicle and dynamometer tests. Therefore, disc pad temperature must be closely monitored or controlled during the Detroit Traffic Road Test or its simulation and the effects of temperature must be included in determining disc pad life or to obtain a meaningful comparison between two friction materials.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Schwartz, H W
- RHEE, S K
- Publication Date: 1977-3-4
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Brakes; Disc brakes; Dynamometers; Road tests; Simulation; Temperature; Wear
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00163444
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 770026
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 23 1977 12:00AM