BIODEGRADATION OF OIL IN SEAWATER FOR NAVAL POLLUTION CONTROL
The report describes the isolation and utilization of pure and mixed microbial cultures for experiments on the biodegradation of crude oil Bunker C fuel and marine diesel. Many microbial species were found that had hydrocarbonoclastic activity. When pure cultures were combined in mixtures the activity was much greater, 91% oxidation in seven days, than the activity of any one of the component species when used in a pure culture.
Naval Construction Battalion CenterCivil Engineering Laboratory
Port Hueneme, CA United States 93043
- O'Neill, T B
- Publication Date: 1977-6-1
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Biodeterioration; Deterioration; Oil spill cleanup; Oils; Pollution control
- Old TRIS Terms: Oil degradation; Oil spill control
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00163211
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Office of Naval Research
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00014-76-WR60021
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 13 1977 12:00AM